Thursday, November 16, 2006

Men

Do men only hear what they want? Sort of like children with selective listening--hearing dessert but not the word bedtime? It can be annoying.

A few weeks ago my husband asked me if I wanted to join him for a hoiday party. I said that I would like to. I thought it would be fun. I enjoy parties. He said, if not, he had asked a friend in his line of work who would go. He thought I might not want to go because I might be bored while he networked. I didn't care. I can hold my own.

Then on the way to dinner last night my husband said, "Oh, tomorrow I'll be home late." Why, I asked. "Because I'm going to that holiday party I told you about with my friend." Well, did you forget I was coming with you?

Yes, he had no clue. It was like we never had a conversation. Or, if we did, he went into the conversation thinking of the outcome he wanted. Never mind what we actually discussed.

He back pedaled and said, "Oh,I didn't realize you wanted to go. I'm sure my friend will be relieved he doesn't have to go." But then I was done. I had no more interest in going. Plus, I've been a little blue with my kitty being gravely ill and all. I haven't exactly been in the mood to make small talk with new people who probably felt the same. You don't exactly walk into an attorney firm's holiday party expecting to meet a new, best friend.

My husband kept insisting I should come. I had no more desire. I think I'm more annoyed that he didn't listen to me. I take it very personally when I have a specific conversation with someone and they have no clue it ever took place.
Won't my hubby feel like a 3 year old when I ask him to repeat back to me what I say in our next conversation!

Men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home