Thursday, April 27, 2006

Wedding Dress

I have a dilemma–not huge–and I’m not sure what to do. What do I do with my beautiful wedding dress? I had the big day, strutted my stuff and now I’m stuck with a gorgeous wedding dress that I paid way too much for. I tried to be cheaper, but even as a thin girl, I had a lot of trouble finding a dress that fit great with sleeves that I liked. If I had large fake breasts I may have had an easier time. I’m sure the early 90s would have offered me more “sleeve” options, but hey I was never in a serious relationship then.

Why don’t wedding dresses have good resale?

Now, it’s been 5 months and it’s still in my closet. I haven’t even dry cleaned it yet. Gross, huh? My girlfriends tell me if I want to sell it, I’ll only get $100 and that would stink. I’d rather keep it and pay $150 to have it preserved if that’s the case. I don’t have the heart to just give it away because I paid way too much for it. If the dress was under $500 I could part with it easier.

I don’t want to put it in consignment either because I wouldn’t want it to get ruined by people trying it on. You should see how girls treat clothes in retail stores. They can be so cruel.

A part of me wants to hold on to it even though the chances of having a daughter or niece who’d want to wear it or fit into it are slim. Especially because it’ll go out of style. Giving it away to charity is a great idea, but it’s still hard to do. Unrealistically, I’d like to sell it for half the price and then I think I could feel good. But at this rate, in the back of my closest, it’s going nowhere but out of fashion, fast.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you thought about deconstructing it and making it into something else? Something that says it is still part of you but you've moved on?

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home