Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Family Holiday Dinner

I'm planning my first Jewish holiday dinner at my house this Rosh Hashana. This is something I've thought about doing for a long time but never made time to do it. I figured being married was a good excuse to go for the gusto.

My Aunt and Grandma, who are organizing queens, have helped me plan the meal and have given me suggestions. I was going to do everything myself, but they suggested divying some of the menu selections to my sisters and mom. I think they are right so I've now asked for them to bring a dish.

I made my first Jewish, chicken soup this morning, and I'm so excited about it. The hardest part was finding a Kosher chicken by the house, which I have to say is utterly ridiculous. When I asked the butcher at one of the large markets to order a Kosher brisket, he answered, "we have some flat cuts of brisket." Yes, but I need a kosher one. "Hmmm, he said. I'll have to find out about that one." Of course, I never heard from him again.

I did find a bag of Kosher chicken cut up in quarters so used that. My kind neighbor said she'd put the soup in the fridge once it cooled down because I had to go to work. I can't wait to find out how it was after she snuck a taste!

My hubby cooked a brisket last night and then I'll cook some more on Friday. I'll be making matza balls from a mix too--also for my first time. I hope it all comes out great.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gail!

Thanks for adding us to your blog-roll. You rock!

I'm stressing out, trying to throw together a family dinner for Rosh HaShana. Definitely follow-up with a comment or post to let us know how it went!

L'Shana tovah

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home