Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Flying to Vegas

I just got from Vegas Monday night. I fly Southwest and I tell ya, the airline has a good thing going for them with cheap deals (which I appreciate), but I hate the no assigned seats and the A,B,and C line ups.

For those who don't know about the airline, seats are basically first come first serve. The faster you print out your boarding pass the more chance you have of getting an A seating. If you are getting a last minute ticket you are most likely to get a C and have to wait until everyone else boards the plan to get on and find a seat.

People who fly the airline get nuts about getting a good seat. It made me anxious, and I even got a little nutty on the way home, lining up with the other fools a half hour before boarding. And then, I still didn't even get a good seat.

On the positive, I met two really cool people. One woman worked for Head Start in El Paso and the other lived in San Antonio and was visiting her boyfriend in San Diego.
My flight from Orlando was brutal. I flew for like 9 hours with 3 total stops as layovers. I was ready to get off in Albuquerque and say forget it. I won't go to Vegas. I was done flying. But I held on. I made it there at midnight EST, and I started at 3:00 EST.

It was really cool though. This time I stayed off the strip at the LV Hilton which was mediocre. They had good gambling but we were so far from everything that transportation got expensive getting to the main strip. They have the monorail now, but it's about $5 each way and taxi's were averaging 15.00 from our hotel. I think traffic might have been worse because of the March Madness and all. But the LV Hilton did have good games. I won a few times on video poker (so addicting) and some slots.

If any of you go, you have to go to Ellis Island, off of Koval ST behind Bally's and go to the restaurant and order the steak dinner off the menu. It won't disappoint and the portions are huge at about $5--it's a great bargain. Plus they have cheap eats for breakfast.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been on marathon layover flights like those and they suck don't they? Even flying to Japan (direct) was less exhausting.

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home