Thursday, January 27, 2005

Always a Bridesmaid

Always a Bridesmaid and never a Bride . . .

I can still hear my dad muttering this cliche when I was in my early twenties. Lord, did he think I was so hopeless I’d never get married past 23? The thought often haunted me.

I guess I couldn’t blame him. He commented after I was asked a fourth time to be a bridesmaid in another friend’s wedding. He probably wondered why everyone else was getting married except me. I assured my father he shouldn’t worry. Maybe he was more concerned with the money I had to keep borrowing from him to pay for all the expenses of a bridesmaid’s obligation. My post college degree job paid me less than $20,000 a year which kept me still living at home.

I’ll assume he was more concerned with the money. There is the dress to buy which can run anywhere from $160 and up. Then there are other expenses of shoes, special undergarments to purchase, dress alterations, hair and makeup, a manicure and possibly pedicure, a shower to throw, shower gift, wedding gift, and bachelorette party to partake and share in the costs. Did I leave out anything? In a sense, being a bridesmaid is like having your own mini wedding. Does six mini-weddings equal one? Because if so, this is my sixth stint as a bridesmaid. I might have unknowingly experienced my own wedding . . .see Dad, it finally happened.

And don’t forget about the bride and her family’s expenses. Supposedly, an average wedding can cost an average of $20,000. Maybe that’s why everyone tells me to elope.

Now, in my 30s and still never having experienced a wedding of my own, I wonder if the brides-to-be considers the job they bestow upon their friends when they ask them to be a part of their wedding? When it’s my turn will I expect the same? I’m sure I’ll be just like every bride before me. Is it all part of the American wedding tradition or American consumerism?

Recently, a good friend asked me to be a bridesmaid for her second wedding. I never expected to be a 30 something bridesmaid. Was my father’s predication correct?

Whichever way you look at it, this April I’ll be gliding down a white carpeted area (aka vinyl) in the beautiful gardens of the Ritz Carlton to help celebrate my friend’s Spring wedding. And who knows, if I’m lucky, I’ll be the girl to catch the bride’s bouquet.

4 Comments:

Blogger Esther Kustanowitz said...

Gail! You're back! Welcome back!

BTW, I got hit in the face with a bridal bouquet. True story. Mortifying, and true.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Masha said...

Your wedding will be amazing...and you won't be "just another bride"...don't worry, love will find you

12:07 AM  
Blogger PepGiraffe said...

Yee-haw, the Ritz! I suppose I am not supposed to think this way, but if someone is having a ceremony at the Ritz Carlton, they should have enough money to pay for the bridesmaid's dresses.

I was in the wedding for a friend of mine who got everyone's jewelry. I thought that was a very nice gesture although it turned out that it was just that she wanted to make sure that everyone's jewelry matched. Still, I was happy that I didn't have to pay for it.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your blog - it makes good reading. Thought you might be interested in our great gift website. With Christmas not far away you cwill be able to find a range of superb unique and novelty gift ideas for everyone. Take a look at The Cosmic Superstore or Christmas gift ideas UK

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home