Monday, January 10, 2005

Ringing in the New Year

I’ve always loved New Years. I loved it so much that I would get upset when my parents went out for the night and left me home alone with my sisters while they were out New Yearing. I’d stay up past midnight watching tv and be sad I had no one to kiss to ring in the New Year. When I look back on it now it seems so strange. Why on earth would a twelve year old be sad because she was home alone on the eve of a New Year? If I was smarter I would have invited over a friend.

When I was old enough to go out and party, believe me–I did. I took every opportunity I could. And for some reason, I noticed a correlation. The older I got, the more fun the parties got–especially at 21. Could the connection be the alcohol I was legally able to consume? Hmmm. My favorite part of the parties was at midnight my girlfriends and I would make our rounds and kiss every guy wishing them a happy new year. What better excuse to kiss new and strange men then with new year kisses? Besides, we never heard any complaints.

But lately, the partying has really slowed down. In fact, this New Year most of my friends stayed home with their significant other. I did the same. Although getting sick did have something to do with the slow down, but my boyfriend and I were in bed and asleep by 11:00. I wasn’t even disappointed that I stayed home and slept before midnight. And, the next day I realized, New Years was just another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home